Daily Short Reflections
Day 1
Today, we met the students and I gave them background information about human trafficking with a focus on labor and migration. In the end, I wanted the students to understand that at any point during the migration process, people can become trafficked into forced labor. The students seemed really engaged and many were shocked because they never thought about the answers to "Who works for your food?" Therefore, I urged them to consider, who works in the restaurants that you visit? Who washes the dishes? Who picks your vegetables? Who cans your meat? Who ensures that popular foods are imported in a timely fashion?
Day 2
Two folks from Middle Way House came in to talk to the students about labor trafficking. Their PowerPoint was a great complement to my presentation the day before. Before the facilitators began their talk, we discussed my annoyance with the phrase "Human trafficking is modern day slavery." Not only is that slogan offensive, it is all out wrong. By using the phrase "modern day," it gives folks the impression that slavery ended (which it hasn't) and that slavery isn't an oppressive institution that constantly morphs into something different so that it never dies. I also mentioned that when West Africans were brought from Africa hundreds of years ago, they were trafficked for forced labor although we didn't use that language then. That pervasive example often helps others understand the severity of human trafficking and how it has existed for much longer than people realize.
Day 3
Today, the students began creating their protest posters about Fair Trade. Teresa BY gave a short lecture about the meaning of fair trade and about Chavez's protests regarding grape picking. These notes encouraged them to think about how they can raise awareness with their school administrators and peers with food labor. Some of the groups created group art while others created art independently. Each piece told a different story that was truly moving. I was proud of not only their artistic talents, but also their ability to tell stories with all of the previous information given in such a small space.
Day 4
Today, the students finished their protest posters and began researching their respective places to identify problems, solutions, and obstacles or challenges to change. The students were shocked to find information about who had been trafficked from their areas and why. Some of them felt really discouraged, but we encouraged them to think about how they can make change. Raising awareness is a first step that they can easily take by talking about these issues with their friends and family at home and I am proud of them for thinking about next steps. We also wanted them to understand that the statistics may be jarring, but they can help and their help matters. Researching the issue was harder for some groups compared to others because many countries focus majority of their efforts on sex trafficking rather than labor trafficking (which is FAR more common). I helped the students understand that the lack of information is a result of resources being focused elsewhere rather than the bigger task at hand. Hopefully, this encouraged them to think about how to productively shift the conversation to include the ignored and excluded groups.
Also, one of the groups created a poster that was so powerful that I was speechless. I wish I had a picture of the poster because it almost brought tears to my eyes, but I am glad that they took these issues to heart and really tried to create change and raise awareness simultaneously.
Day 5
Unfortunately, I was sick so I was unable to attend class or any of the festivities. Nonetheless, I had a great time getting to know the kids and working with them. They were a very lively bunch and they amazed me. Even when I thought that they weren't listening, they recited some of the notes from days before. I hope that this knowledge will propel them forward to be critical thinkers and become future activists who move beyond the popular topics or the "obvious." I wish each and every one of them the best.
Check out the student's Twitter account: @whoworks4urfood. Each tweet embodies the student's point of view and their personalities regarding the topic. They demonstrate the baby activists inside of each of them waiting to be unleashed.
Today, we met the students and I gave them background information about human trafficking with a focus on labor and migration. In the end, I wanted the students to understand that at any point during the migration process, people can become trafficked into forced labor. The students seemed really engaged and many were shocked because they never thought about the answers to "Who works for your food?" Therefore, I urged them to consider, who works in the restaurants that you visit? Who washes the dishes? Who picks your vegetables? Who cans your meat? Who ensures that popular foods are imported in a timely fashion?
Day 2
Two folks from Middle Way House came in to talk to the students about labor trafficking. Their PowerPoint was a great complement to my presentation the day before. Before the facilitators began their talk, we discussed my annoyance with the phrase "Human trafficking is modern day slavery." Not only is that slogan offensive, it is all out wrong. By using the phrase "modern day," it gives folks the impression that slavery ended (which it hasn't) and that slavery isn't an oppressive institution that constantly morphs into something different so that it never dies. I also mentioned that when West Africans were brought from Africa hundreds of years ago, they were trafficked for forced labor although we didn't use that language then. That pervasive example often helps others understand the severity of human trafficking and how it has existed for much longer than people realize.
Day 3
Today, the students began creating their protest posters about Fair Trade. Teresa BY gave a short lecture about the meaning of fair trade and about Chavez's protests regarding grape picking. These notes encouraged them to think about how they can raise awareness with their school administrators and peers with food labor. Some of the groups created group art while others created art independently. Each piece told a different story that was truly moving. I was proud of not only their artistic talents, but also their ability to tell stories with all of the previous information given in such a small space.
Day 4
Today, the students finished their protest posters and began researching their respective places to identify problems, solutions, and obstacles or challenges to change. The students were shocked to find information about who had been trafficked from their areas and why. Some of them felt really discouraged, but we encouraged them to think about how they can make change. Raising awareness is a first step that they can easily take by talking about these issues with their friends and family at home and I am proud of them for thinking about next steps. We also wanted them to understand that the statistics may be jarring, but they can help and their help matters. Researching the issue was harder for some groups compared to others because many countries focus majority of their efforts on sex trafficking rather than labor trafficking (which is FAR more common). I helped the students understand that the lack of information is a result of resources being focused elsewhere rather than the bigger task at hand. Hopefully, this encouraged them to think about how to productively shift the conversation to include the ignored and excluded groups.
Also, one of the groups created a poster that was so powerful that I was speechless. I wish I had a picture of the poster because it almost brought tears to my eyes, but I am glad that they took these issues to heart and really tried to create change and raise awareness simultaneously.
Day 5
Unfortunately, I was sick so I was unable to attend class or any of the festivities. Nonetheless, I had a great time getting to know the kids and working with them. They were a very lively bunch and they amazed me. Even when I thought that they weren't listening, they recited some of the notes from days before. I hope that this knowledge will propel them forward to be critical thinkers and become future activists who move beyond the popular topics or the "obvious." I wish each and every one of them the best.
Check out the student's Twitter account: @whoworks4urfood. Each tweet embodies the student's point of view and their personalities regarding the topic. They demonstrate the baby activists inside of each of them waiting to be unleashed.
Comments
Post a Comment